While the general application deadline for USC Thornton is December 1, the Fall application deadline for the Arts Leadership program has been extended to:
June 1, 2014
For applicants to any of the Arts Leadership programs, a bachelor’s degree and a working artistic background (three to five years as a working artist) are preferred qualifications.
Additionally, all applicants must submit the following:
- A resume or curriculum vitae
- Unofficial copies of transcripts (for faculty review purposes; please note that official copies of transcripts must also be submitted)
- Answers to the following five questions in essay format. There is no specific length requirement, however applicants are being considered not only for the content of the answers but also ability to express thoughts in written form. The questions are as follows:
- What is your specific field of artistic practice? Why have you chosen to pursue a career in this field?
- Identify one truly significant obstacle that you have faced in your life that you successfully overcame to become the person you are today.
- The Arts Leadership course of study acknowledges several important environmental trends occurring in today’s world—the changing demographics of the country, the rise and increasing dominance of technological innovation, changing business models that reflect the new economy and globalization to name a few—that are having a dramatic impact on arts organizations in today’s world. Select one, or identify another that you think is equally as important, and explain what impact this trend you think is having or will have on the arts in America.
- Identify someone you know personally whom you consider to be a great leader. Explain why you would call him/her great.
- In an ideal world, without necessarily thinking about financial viability, where would you like to be and what would you like to be doing ten years from now? On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being “Yes, absolutely I am on track to doing this” and 10 being “pie in the sky dream but I sure wish I could” rate your chances of achieving this goal.
- Please note the following application requirements by program:
- Graduate Certificate (USC Thornton School):
- Applicants must complete the graduate USC application for graduate admission at http://www.usc.edu/admission/graduate/apply/application1.html.
- Students should upload items 1 through 3 above via the USC graduate application.
- Master of Public Administration (USC Price School):
- Further information will be forthcoming soon from the USC Price School of Public Policy on how to apply for the MPA (http://priceschool.usc.edu/admission/).
In some cases faculty may wish to invite applicants to interview as part of the application process. Where appropriate and considered necessary, faculty will coordinate interview dates and times with applicants directly.