This section is for all freshman applicants as well as transfer applicants from outside of USC. The total application fee is $106 ($85 for the Common Application, $6 for the Thornton supplement in SlideRoom, and $15 for the DecisionDesk recording upload where applicable). All required materials must be received by December 1. Please note that this is a received deadline, NOT a postmark deadline.
Transfer students should also refer to Transferring to Thornton FAQ section
- Complete the USC Undergraduate Application. The Common Application fee is $85.
Please note that applicants are permitted to apply to no more than one music program. This program must be selected as the first-choice major on the USC Supplement to the Common Application. Applicants who would like to be considered for admission to a second Thornton program must submit a written request following the second major request process.
- Submit official transcripts and test scores to the USC Admission Office.
- Complete the ARTS SUPPLEMENT to the USC application in SlideRoom. You will access SlideRoom through the Common Application by selecting “Yes” to the question: “Do you intend to submit an art supplement so that your special talent in one or more of the arts will be considered as part of the admission process to University of Southern California?”. The SlideRoom fee is $6.
- You will also include a Resumé, Repertoire List, and Statement of Purpose (where appropriate) through this supplemental section.
- Determine the specific Application Requirements for your chosen program, including prescreen recordings, compositions, or lyric sheets where appropriate. Materials should be uploaded through the appropriate DecisionDesk link. The DecisionDesk upload fee is $15.
- All required materials must be received by December 1. Please note that this is NOT a postmark deadline.
- Perform an audition if required according to the specific audition requirements for your chosen program.
- f you pass your department’s prescreen round, you will automatically be scheduled for an audition. You will be notified of your prescreen results/audition date and time by email. Please do not make travel plans or purchase tickets until you have received official notification that your audition has been scheduled.
Transfer students: visit our Transferring to Thornton FAQ section for important information about transferring.
International students: visit our International Student Admission section for important information about applying as an international student.
Questions? Feel free to contact us at email@example.com or (213) 740-8986 or (800) 872-2213.