This section is only for graduate spring applicants. Undergraduate applications are not accepted for Spring Admission unless the applicant is already enrolled as a student at USC.
The total application fee is $115 ($90 for the USC Graduate Application and $25 for the SlideRoom Media/Materials upload). All required materials (that go to Thornton OR USC) must be received by October 1. Please note that this is NOT a postmark deadline.
The following programs do not accept applications for spring admission:
- All DMA Programs
- Artist Diploma
- Choral Music
- Contemporary Teaching Practice
- Early Music
- Jazz Studies
- Music Industry
- Screen Scoring
Very rare exceptions may be considered by written request from the prospective applicant to the Thornton Admission office. These requests should be sent via email to Kit Bellamy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applying to USC Thornton is a two-part process. To be considered for admission, you must submit two separate application forms:
- USC Application for Graduate Admission.
- USC Thornton SlideRoom Application Form
Your application will not be considered complete, and will therefore not be reviewed by the faculty if you do not submit both required application forms.
Important notes regarding the USC Application for Graduate Admission.
- Scans (PDF format) of official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended must be uploaded into the USC Graduate application. Official transcripts are issued by the registrar’s office of each institution. Unofficial transcripts or documents printed from an on-line student system will not be accepted. Please note that official transcripts must also be submitted separately to the USC Graduate Admission office following the guidelines here.
- The application fee is $90. Application fee waivers are available to students who qualify. It is necessary to apply for a fee waiver before the application can be submitted. If you plan to apply for a waiver of the USC application fee, please do so well before the application deadline. Details and instructions can be found here.
- All required materials must be received by October 1.
Important notes regarding USC Thornton’s SlideRoom Application form:
- The SlideRoom portal can be found inside the USC Application for Graduate Admission, in the “Program Materials” Section.
- You must submit the SlideRoom form before you can submit the USC Application for Graduate Admission. (You can start both application forms, and work on them at the same time)
- Before you begin the SlideRoom form, determine the specific Application Requirements for your chosen program. All materials must be uploaded through SlideRoom, including prescreen recordings, compositions or writing samples (where appropriate), resumé, statement of purpose, recommendation letters, and Repertoire List (where appropriate). The fee for SlideRoom is $25.
- Scans (PDF format) of official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended must be uploaded into SlideRoom. Official transcripts are issued by the registrar’s office of each institution. Unofficial transcripts or documents printed from an on-line student system will not be accepted. Please note that official transcripts must also be submitted separately to the USC Graduate Admission office following the guidlines here.
- 1-3 Letters of Recommendation are required from all Graduate applicants unless otherwise stated in the “program application requirements” section for your particular program. Additionally, all DMA applicants must submit at least one letter from a professor who has assessed a substantial research or analysis paper that the student has written. Recommendation letters are to be submitted online through the Thornton SlideRoom portal.
- DMA applicants only: In addition to the items listed above, a “Personal Introductory Video” must be submitted through SlideRoom. For details click here.
- Perform an Audition — You will be notified of your prescreen results and audition details by email from the corresponding Thornton department. Note: Please do not make travel plans or purchase tickets until you have received official notification that your audition has been scheduled.
International students: visit our International Student Admission section for important information about applying as an international student.
Are you a USC Thornton student right now? If so, please see special application information for current Thornton students, here.
Questions? Feel free to contact us at email@example.com or (213) 740-8986.