This section is for graduate spring applicants. Undergraduate applications are not accepted for Spring Admission unless the applicant is already enrolled as a student at USC.
The total application fee is $115 ($90 for the USC Graduate Application and $25 for the SlideRoom Media/Materials upload). All required materials (that go to Thornton OR USC) must be received by October 1. Please note that this is NOT a postmark deadline.
The following programs do not accept applications for spring admission:
- All DMA Programs
- Artist Diploma
- Choral Music
- Contemporary Teaching Practice
- Early Music
- Jazz Studies
- Music Industry
- Screen Scoring
Very rare exceptions may be considered by written request from the prospective applicant to the Thornton Admission office. These requests should be sent via email to Kit Bellamy at email@example.com.
- Determine the specific Application Requirements for your chosen program, including prescreen recordings, compositions, or writing samples where appropriate. Materials should be uploaded through the SlideRoom link provided below. The fee for SlideRoom is $25.
- Upload a Resumé, Repertoire List, and Statement of Purpose (where appropriate) through SlideRoom.
- Scans (PDF form) of official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended must be uploaded into SlideRoom. Official transcripts are issued by the registrar’s office of each institution. Unofficial transcripts or documents printed from an on-line student system will not be accepted. Please note that official transcripts must also be submitted separately to the USC Graduate Admission office following the guidelines here.
- 1-3 Letters of Recommendation are required from all Graduate applicants unless otherwise stated in the “program application requirements” section for your particular program. All DMA applicants must submit at least one letter from a professor who has assessed a substantial research or analysis paper that the student has written. Recommendation letters are to be submitted online through the Thornton SlideRoom portal.
Note: Recordings/Materials will not be accepted via mail or email for any program. Recordings/Materials must be submitted online through SlideRoom by the October 1st deadline. Any application not complete by October 1 may be removed from consideration.
To access the SPRING SlideRoom portal to submit your Media/Materials click on the following link:
- Complete the USC Graduate Application. The application fee is $90. Application fee waivers are available to students who qualify. It is necessary to apply for a fee waiver before the application can be submitted. If you plan to apply for a waiver of the USC application fee, please do so well before the application deadline. Details and instructions can be found here.
- Submit official transcripts and required test scores to the USC Admission Office.
- All required materials must be received by October 1.
- Perform an Audition — You will be notified of your prescreen results and audition details by email from the corresponding Thornton department. Note: Please do not make travel plans or purchase tickets until you have received official notification that your audition has been scheduled.
International students: visit our International Student Admission section for important information about applying as an international student.
Are you a USC Thornton student right now? If so, please see special application information for current Thornton students, here.
Questions? Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (213) 740-8986 or (800) 872-2213.