This page provides administrative operations and policy updates most pertinent to USC Thornton staff members. Please check back regularly for the most up-to-date information
Updates to USC Zoom Accounts
Information Technology Services has made several updates in Zoom settings in an effort to improve the security of Zoom sessions and to prevent “Zoombombing” incidents from taking place, which includes the following:
- Require a password when scheduling new meetings, by default
- Require meeting host’s approval before allowing attendees to share their desktop/screen
- Redirect all guests (users not logged in using their USC Zoom accounts) to the waiting room,
before being let in by the meeting host.
Be aware that “Zoombombers” have been let in as guests in recent cases, so please be cautious when allowing guests in your meetings. More information can be found at University’s Keepworking website.
In addition to computer settings changes, we are asking our faculty, staff, and students to do the
- Please use your USC Zoom account for all USC meetings and courses, which automatically
allows attendees to join a meeting without being stuck in the waiting room.
- To log on to your USC Zoom account on the Zoom desktop or mobile app, please remember to
click on login with SSO (Single Sign-On), then domain usc.zoom.us. If you still need to activate your USC Zoom account, please go to http://usc.zoom.us, and click on “Sign In.” You will be redirected to the red USC Shibboleth (SSO) page.
- Install Zoom version 4.6.10 (20033.0407) which was released as of April 7, which adds a new
Security button on a host’s meeting controls and allows the host to quickly lock a meeting or enable
waiting room even when the meeting is in session. Bonus: the update introduces Original Sound
settings on all mobile devices!
As always, please reach out to Thornton Technology at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or
(Excerpted from an email sent on April 9, 2020)
Updates to Thornton’s Policy Regarding Deliveries
Given the rising cases of Covid-19 in Los Angeles and County of Los Angeles stay-at-home recommendations, we have concluded it best to close the BMH Music Operations Office. Therefore, at this time, all Thornton mail will be held through April by USC’s Mailing and Material Management.
You should avoid ordering packages to be delivered to the school if possible, but if you need to order items that would be delivered from a different carrier than the U.S. Postal Service (e.g. FedEx, UPS), you must have those packages and general mail delivered to:
Your Name C/O Thornton School of Music (0851)
Mailing and Material Services
3434 South Hope Street Los Angeles, CA 90089-7777
If you have any quess concerning this process please email email@example.com.
(Excerpted from an email sent on April 7, 2020)
2020 Summer Federal Work-Study Program
(The following information applies to continuing CWSP student workers. For new hires, please consult Amber Bartlett)
2020 Summer Federal Work-Study Calendar:
March 1, 2020 2020 summer work-study applications available online. March 31, 2020 Last day to submit 2020 summer work-study applications.
- April 30, 2020 Late application (2020 summer CWSP) deadline.
- May 13, 2020 Last day to use 2018-2020 academic year work-study funds.
- May 14, 2020 First day to use 2020 summer work-study funds.
- July 2, 2020 First day to use 2020-2020 academic year work-study funds.
- August 23, 2020 Last day to use 2020 summer work-study funds.
The Summer Federal Work-Study (FWS) program is a limited work assistance program that allows continuing students to earn up to $3,000 during the summer.
To be considered for summer FWS, the student must:
- Have submitted a 2020-2021 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 3, 2020.
- Demonstrate financial need for both the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 academic years. Priority is given to high need students.
- Meet all general eligibility requirements for financial aid, including Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements.
- Be a continuing student and intend to register full time at USC for the fall 2020 semester.
- Submit a 2020 Summer Federal Work-Study Application online. The link is available to students on the USC Financial Aid Website. The form will remain available online until April 30, 2020 to allow for late applicants, but applicants who apply by March 31, 2020 will receive first priority in funding. No applications will be accepted after April 30, 2020.
If you wish to retain current federal work-study employees through the summer months, you should encourage them to apply for summer FWS by the deadline. The limited funding of this program will not permit exceptions for students who do not meet all of the application deadlines and eligibility requirements outlined above.
If you have additional award-specific questions, please call the USC Financial Aid Office at 213-740-4444.
If you have specific CWSP questions regarding payroll allocation, please contact Amber Bartlett – firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Excerpted from an email sent on April 6, 2020)