In this photograph from 1888, female piano students at the USC School of Music pose on the steps of Widney Hall — currently known as the Widney Alumni House. Built in 1880, the Widney Alumni House is the oldest continual-use university building in Southern California. It housed the School of Music until the late 1970s.
Some of the women in this photograph might appear significantly younger than most college students. That’s because in addition to teaching older students, the USC School of Music also offered music lessons to children in the local neighborhood.