The USC Thornton School of Music, in cooperation with institutional partners abroad, will offer opportunities to study overseas for one semester (fall or spring) during the 2017-2018 academic year. In each exchange, a USC Thornton student will study at an overseas school, while a student from the same institution will study at USC Thornton.
Partner Institutions for 2017-2018
|Conservatoire national supérieur musique et danse (CNSMD)
|Royal Northern College of Music
|Sibelius Academy of the University of the Arts
Undergraduate students currently enrolled at USC Thornton are eligible to apply for participation in the exchange program, if they will be in their junior or senior year of study during the 2017-2018 academic year.
Students register and pay the standard tuition at USC Thornton during the semester of exchange. Any merit- or need-based financial aid being received by Thornton students will apply toward the exchange program.
Room & Board
Students will be responsible for paying room and board expenses at the host institution. Assistance with identifying housing options for the semester of exchange will be provided by the host institution.
Students will be responsible for arranging and paying for their own travel to and from the host institution, as well as ground transportation for the duration of stay at the host institution.
Medical Insurance and Medical Expenses
Students will be responsible for paying their own medical expenses, including the cost of insurance. Students must meet the medical insurance requirements of both USC Thornton and the host institution through the coverage carried during the study period.
Books & Supplies
Students will be responsible for paying for all books and supplies required for study at the host institution.
Personal & Miscellaneous Expenses
Students will be responsible for paying for all personal and miscellaneous expenses for the semester of exchange. Careful attention should be given to clothing appropriate to the climate of the host institution.
Passport & Visa Costs
Students will be responsible for paying all passport and visa costs associated with their travel to the host institution. These costs will vary by destination country and the student’s country of citizenship.
Thornton students will be able to pursue their studies at the host institution in English.
Students will be selected to participate in the 2017-2018 exchange program according to the following process.
1. Apply at USC Thornton: Students apply for consideration by USC Thornton according to guidelines set by the school. Detailed guidelines will be provided to eligible students.
2. Pre-Selection by USC Thornton: The faculty of USC Thornton screens applicants and selects a small pool of students to be considered for final selection by the host institution.
3. Apply to Host Institution: The students pre-selected by USC Thornton submit a new application to the host institution according to guidelines set by the host institution. An application fee may be required. Detailed guidelines will be provided to the pre-selected students through the international exchange coordinator at USC Thornton. This application is generally submitted online and will require materials that could take time to prepare, including:
- Media uploads of the applicant’s artistic work.
- Letter of motivation, describing the reasons why the student is interested in participating in the exchange program.
- Résumé or curriculum vitae, which should list the student’s musical, professional, and academic experience.
- Learning agreement, including the courses at the host institution that the visiting student would propose to take during their time of study if selected for the exchange program.
- Transcript of academic work completed to date at USC Thornton.
- Copy of a valid passport.
4. Final Selection by Host Institution: The host institution makes the final selection based on the materials submitted by students who were pre-selected by USC Thornton. Video interviews for assessment of language proficiency will be arranged during this stage of the process if needed.
5. Notification: Students are notified of the final selection and are advised by the host institution regarding how to obtain the necessary visa and make other important preparations.
- March 2017 — Internal selection process at USC Thornton
- March 31, 2017 — Applications due to host institutions
- May 1, 2017 — Final notification of selection for the exchange program
Questions regarding Thornton International Exchange Programs can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.