This section is for all graduate applicants including current USC students applying for a USC graduate program (FALL Semester only). The total application fee is $115 ($90 for the USC Graduate Application and $25 for the SlideRoom Media/Materials upload). All required materials must be received by December 1 (Except “Arts Leadership”).
Applying to USC Thornton is a two-part process. To be considered for admission, you must submit two separate application forms:
- USC Application for Graduate Admission.
- USC Thornton SlideRoom Application Form
Your application will not be considered complete, and will therefore not be reviewed by the faculty if you do not submit both required application forms.
Applicants experiencing hardship or extenuating circumstances due to COVID-19 and/or natural disaster that may affect their ability to satisfy application requirements may contact the Thornton Office of Admission at firstname.lastname@example.org to explore possible accommodations. Though we cannot guarantee that accommodations/exceptions will be possible, applicants are encouraged to contact the Admission Office as soon as possible to allow the maximum amount of time to consider the options.
Important notes regarding the USC Application for Graduate Admission.
- Scans (PDF format) of official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended must be uploaded into the USC Graduate application. Official transcripts are issued by the registrar’s office of each institution. Unofficial transcripts or documents printed from an on-line student system will not be accepted. Please note that official transcripts must also be submitted separately to the USC Graduate Admission office following the guidelines here.
- The application fee is $90. Application fee waivers are available to students who qualify. It is necessary to apply for a fee waiver before the application can be submitted. If you plan to apply for a waiver of the USC application fee, please do so well before the application deadline. Details and instructions can be found here.
- All required materials must be received by December 1.
Important notes regarding USC Thornton’s SlideRoom Application form:
- The SlideRoom portal can be found inside the USC Application for Graduate Admission, in the “Program Materials” Section.
- You must submit the SlideRoom form before you can submit the USC Application for Graduate Admission. (You can start both application forms, and work on them at the same time)
- Before you begin the SlideRoom form, determine the specific Application Requirements for your chosen program. All materials must be uploaded through SlideRoom, including audition recordings, compositions or writing samples (where appropriate), resumé, statement of purpose, recommendation letters, and Repertoire List (where appropriate). The fee for SlideRoom is $25.
- Scans (PDF format) of official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended must be uploaded into SlideRoom. Official transcripts are issued by the registrar’s office of each institution. Unofficial transcripts or documents printed from an on-line student system will not be accepted. Please note that official transcripts must also be submitted separately to the USC Graduate Admission office following the guidelines here.
- 1-3 Letters of Recommendation are required from all Graduate applicants unless otherwise stated in the “program application requirements” section for your particular program. Additionally, all DMA applicants must submit at least one letter from a professor who has assessed a substantial research or analysis paper that the student has written. Recommendation letters are to be submitted online through the Thornton SlideRoom portal.
- DMA and PhD applicants only: In addition to the items listed above, a “Doctoral Introductory Video” must be submitted through SlideRoom. For details click here.
Recordings/Materials will not be accepted via mail or email for any program. Recordings/Materials must be submitted online through SlideRoom by the December 1st deadline. Any application not complete by December 1 may be removed from consideration.
Important notes: All DMA and PhD applicants as well as Master’s applicants in Music Teaching and Learning, Community Music, and Early Music must take Thornton’s Graduate Academic Admission Examination. Details regarding Thornton’s Graduate Academic Admission Examination can be found here.
Applicants to the MS in Music Industry are strongly encouraged to submit scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Results of the first round of consideration will determine whether an applicant will be advanced to a second round of consideration. Exceptions: The application process for the MS in Music Industry does not include a second round. Music Teaching and Learning, Community Music, Musicology, Composition, and Screen Scoring faculty may conduct interviews, and those departments will contact students directly to make arrangements in the New Year.
- Results of the first round of consideration will be sent to applicants via email in late December.
- Requirements for the second round of consideration will vary by program.
- Programs in strings, French horn and keyboard collaborative arts will require additional repertoire for the second round of consideration.
- For other programs, though additional repertoire will not be required, the second round of consideration may include interactive activities such as an online performance audition and/or interview. Details will be provided in late December to applicants who are advanced from the first round of consideration. Exceptions: Music Teaching and Learning, Community Music, Musicology, Composition, and Screen Scoring faculty may conduct interviews, and those departments will contact students directly to make arrangements in the New Year.
If you are interested in a Teaching Assistantship, please review the available positions and follow the application instructions for your position of interest (if applicable).
International students: Visit our International Student Admission section for important information about applying as an international student.
Are you a USC Thornton student right now? If so, please see special application information for current Thornton students, here.
Questions? Feel free to contact us at email@example.com or (213) 740-8986.