Chair, Music Teaching & Learning
- Program:Music Teaching & Learning
Beatriz Ilari (she/her) is an Associate Professor of Music Teaching & Learning at the USC Thornton School of Music, where she teaches graduate courses in music psychology, the sociology of music, cultural diversity in music teaching and learning and research methods. She has conducted extensive research with babies, preschoolers and school-aged children from the U.S., Brazil, Canada, Japan and Mexico. In her work, she uses a variety of approaches to study different aspects of musical development and growth of infants, children, and adolescents. Her research is interdisciplinary in nature. Beatriz Ilari collaborates regularly with researchers from USC’s Brain & Creativity Institute and Bionic Ear Lab, and with scholars from different research centers and universities across the globe.
Musicking in the Margins (Musicando as margens) with Dr. Graziela Bortz (UNESP, Brazil), supported by SEMPRE (UK).
Peer-Reviewed Articles (Selected)
- Cho, E., & Ilari, B. (2021). Mothers as home DJs: Recorded music and young children’s well-being during the COVID-19 pandemic. Frontiers in Psychology, 12, 637569. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2021.637569
- Habibi, A., Ilari, B., Heine, K., & Damasio, H. (2020. Changes in auditory cortical thickness following music training in children: Converging longitudinal and cross-sectional results. Brain Structure and Function, 225(8),, 2463-2474.
Ilari, B. (2020). Longitudinal research on music education and child development: Contributions and challenges. Music & Science, 3, 1-21.
- Ilari, B., Helfter, S., & Huynh, T. (2020). Associations between musical participation and young children’s prosocial behaviors. Journal of Research in Music Education, 67(4), 399-412. doi: 10.1177/0022429419878169
- Ilari, B., Perez, P., Wood, A., & Habibi, A. (2019). The role of community-based music and sports programs on parental views of children’s social skills and personality. International Journal of Community Music, 12(1), 35–56, doi: 10.1386/ijcm.12.1.35_1.
Edited Books & Book Chapters (Selected)
- Russo, F., Ilari, B., & Cohen, A. (2020). (Eds.). Routledge companion to interdisciplinary studies in singing, volume 1: Development. Routledge.
- Young, S., & Ilari, B. (2019). (Eds.). Early childhood music: Multi-disciplinary perspectives and inter-disciplinary exchanges. Springer.
Ilari, B. (2017). Children’s ethnic identity, cultural diversity, and music education. In. R. Macdonald, D. J. Hargreaves, & D. Miell (Eds.), Oxford handbook of musical identities (pp. 527-543). Oxford University Press.
- PhD in music education, McGill University, 2002
- M.A. in violin performance, Montclair State University, 1998
- B.A. in music education, University of São Paulo, 1994