Auditions for 2020-2021 Opera Program
- Fall ’20 – Opera Workshop. (Online). A series of Opera “Shorts” will be produced from a wide range of projects including cross-department collaborations on works of BIPOC composers and librettists, traditional opera scenes and contemporary works.
- Spring ’21 – Opera Workshop (Currently Hybrid). Continued production of Opera “Shorts” and a full length presentation of Debussy’s Pelléas et Mélisande, sung in French.
Auditions will be held live, via Zoom, on the following days and times:
- Wed. Aug. 5th, 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm
- Thu. Aug. 6th, 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm
- Fri. Aug. 7th, 3:00 PM – 7:30 pm
NOTE: All times are Los Angeles, Pacific Daylight Time.
Signup is being handled online. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the link.
Visit this link for information about USC Thornton School Admissions.
Who Can Audition
The USC Thornton Opera Program includes preparation for both the fall and spring productions as well as the winter (early spring semester) opera scenes performance. The Opera Program will hold auditions in August of each year. Students currently admitted to a USC degree program are eligible to audition. Graduate students and undergraduates from their sophomore year on are invited to sign up for an audition time. Newly admitted freshmen may schedule an audition ONLY with the permission of their Voice Teacher. For more information, please contact the Opera Manager, Damien Elwood.
What to Sing and How to Sign Up
Those auditioning should have two to three opera arias or “art songs” prepared. During the period of restricted in-person activities due to the novel coronavirus in 2020 we recommend using pre-recorded piano tracks to sing to. If you encounter any challenges acquiring a recording please contact the Opera Office (email@example.com). We will see what we can do to help.
Auditions are conducted via a USC Thornton School of Music Zoom session over the Internet. Audio or video recordings will not be accepted. Audition time slots will be assigned via an online scheduling poll. Contact the Opera Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) to receive a link for this poll.
*We recommend those cast enroll in the Opera Workshop class prior to the first week of classes to avoid late registration fees. Check with your USC Thornton student advisor regarding which opera class to enroll in.