1. Name the open strings on:
2. What does sul D mean?
Play the passage only on the D string.
3. What is the II string on the cello?
The D string
4. Name two general categories of
playing a string instrument (i.e. with and without the bow).
arco & pizzicato
5. What is the German name for the Violin?
6. What are the five string sections found in the typical
Violin I, Violin II, Viola, Cello, Contrabass
For further orchestrational study of stringed instruments, see: Adler, Samuel. The Study of Orchestration. 3rd edition. W. W. Norton & Co.,
Specific study: Chapters 2, 3, & 5
Kennan, Kent and Donald Grantham. The Technique of Orchestration. 6th edition. Prentice Hall, 2002.
Specific study: Chapters 2, 3, & 4