Congratulations on your admission to the USC Thornton School of Music! We are very excited to have you join us next year. We believe that USC Thornton is an extraordinary place and that’s why we’re excited about you. You would truly be among peers at USC Thornton. We have seen in you the kind of talent, intellect, outlook, and impulse that we think would be right at home in the USC Thornton community. We would love to have you join this marvelous group of future music professionals and hope you can connect with us over the next few weeks as you make the important decision about where to enroll next year.
See below for details about on-campus and virtual admitted student events, planning a campus visit, and other ways to learn more about USC Thornton. Fight On!
Take the Next Steps
- Attend an Admitted Student Event
- We are excited to connect with you and invite you to join us at one of our in-person or virtual admitted student events in April. See the “Connect With Us!” section below for more details.
- Commit to Enroll at USC (May 1 deadline)
- Fall 2023 Admits: Click here for more information about certifying to enroll and other important next steps like applying for USC housing, signing up for orientation and more
- Spring 2024 Admits: Click here for more information about certifying to enroll and other important next steps like planning your fall semester, applying for USC housing and more.
- Plan to Complete the Music Theory Exam
- New first-year students who certify to enroll (all majors except Music Industry) are required to complete a Music Theory Exam prior to orientation. This exam will be available online from May 8 through May 12. More information will be emailed to admitted students by mid-April.
Connect With Us!
On-Campus Admitted Student Events
We are excited to connect with you at one of the on-campus admitted student events this April. These events are a great chance to visit campus, connect with the USC and Thornton community, and learn more about undergraduate opportunities at USC!
- Explore USC Weekday Events – April 7, 10, 14, 17, 20 and 24
- Explore USC is a fun, all day event that features a variety of different sessions, including a session with the Thornton School of Music, and the opportunity to go to lunch with a current student. Explore USC is offered on select weekdays in April and an RSVP through the USC Applicant Portal is required.
- Explore USC Open House Weekend Event- Sunday, April 2, 2023
- Admitted Student Day is a comprehensive, all-day event that features a variety of different sessions, including sessions hosted specifically by the Thornton School of Music. This day provides a great opportunity to visit campus and connect with Thornton faculty, students, academic advisors and admission staff. RSVP through the USC Applicant Portal here.
Virtual Admitted Student Events
Thornton Academic Information Session
Join other admitted Thornton undergrads in a discussion with Thornton admission staff about academic and student life at the Thornton School! Sessions will be hosted via Zoom and registration through the USC Applicant Portal is required.
- 4:00 p.m. (PT) Wednesday, April 12, 2023 | Click here to register
- 4:00 p.m. (PT) Thursday, April 13, 2023 | Click here to register
Ways to Make the Most of Your Campus Visit
Observing a class while on campus is a great way to see the Thornton School in action! If you are interested in observing a class or rehearsal during a campus visit, you must carefully review and observe the following instructions:
- Students may visit classes from the “Approved Class Visit List for Admitted Undergraduate Thornton Students”.
- Be sure to carefully review and observe any details in the “Special Instructions” column.
- Prior to visiting the class, you must:
- Email the instructor of the class prior to your planned visit to confirm when you will be visiting the class. Be sure to include information about any guests that will be joining you.
- On the day of the class visit:
- Arrive to the classroom at least 5 minutes early and quickly introduce yourself to the instructor before the start of class.
- You should be prepared to stay for the full class duration whenever possible to help minimize distractions.
Attend a Performance
Additional USC Admission Events and Resources
Admitted students are also encouraged to explore the many events and resources available on the USC Admitted Student Welcome page. Click here to learn more!
Learn More About the Thornton School
Watch the recording from the Discover USC Open House: “The Thornton Experience” session from November 2022. This session highlights the undergraduate Thornton experience and the many collaborative opportunities at the Thornton School featuring two of our Vice Deans and student performances. You can also take a look inside the Thornton School with the USC Thornton Campus Snapshot, an online tour of USC Thornton in a series of snapshots and videos showcasing our students in rehearsals, performances, lessons, classes, and more.
Questions? Contact Us!
USC Thornton Admission Office
Office: The Music Complex (TMC) 200 – the office suite on the top floor of TMC
Office Hours: M – F | 9AM – 5PM PT