Review the following checklist that details the actions you must take as described in the Orientation modules that you have reviewed.
BEFORE CLASSES BEGIN
- USC NETID: Complete first login to activate your USC NetID in order to access University resources, including myUSC, which is the central portal for many other services you will access (e.g. Web Registration, ePay, Blackboard)
- E-MAIL: Moving forward, all official correspondence from your advisor and other University offices will be through your USC email account. If forwarding your USC e-mail to another account, put firstname.lastname@example.org on a safe sender list, so that it is not erroneously blocked by spam filters. Do the same for your academic advisor’s e-mail address. Check for instructions with your e-mail provider.
- INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: Complete Passport Verification (PPV) online with the Office of International Services (OIS). Visit the OIS PPV website for more information. Students who do not complete the PPV process will have a registration hold (STU50) that will prevent you from registering for classes. Upon registering for classes, all international students will be enrolled in the USC Student Health Insurance plan.
- COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT: USC is requiring all students, faculty and staff to submit proof of vaccination for COVID-19. Please review the USC Student Health Center website for details about the COVID-19 vaccination policy and actions needed to comply with this requirement.
- USC IDENTIFICATION CARD: Your USC Card provides access to facilities on campus as a student, as well as for other access purposes. Visit the USCard Services website for more information.
- PRACTICE ROOM AND FACILITY ACCESS: Contact Music Operations for more information regarding practice room and facility access. It may be necessary for you to obtain your USCard (USC ID) prior to this step.
- AUDITIONS/ENSEMBLES: Your major department should be contacting you with details regarding performance ensembles that are required for your degree. For students with ensemble elective requirements, or if you would like more information, please refer to the contact information listed on the Ensemble Auditions page.
- FINANCIAL AID: Contact USC Financial Aid Office to address any pending need-based aid (e.g., loans) issues.
- ACADEMIC ADVISEMENT: Check your USC email for information from your academic advisor regarding academic advisement procedures before registering for courses. You should expect correspondence from them no later than August 1.
- REGISTRATION: Register for fall 2022 classes online following your advisement appointment. Save the email confirmation of your registration as a receipt.
- MGEEs: Review the MGEE website for the most updated information regarding the exam schedule and which exams you need to take before the start of classes.
BY FRIDAY, AUGUST 19
- PAYMENT: Settle your bill by 5:00 PM on Friday, August 19 to avoid late fees. Contact Student Financial Services (aka Cashier’s Office) for assistance with payment-related questions. If you’re not able to register for all of the courses you plan to take in the fall semester before August 19, then your advisor may guide you to register for temporary units (USC 100) to reach the intended total number of units for the semester. This will allow you to settle your bill based on the planned total number of units for fall 2022. However, you must remember to replace this temporary enrollment course with your actual courses by the add/drop deadline of September 9.
DURING THE SEMESTER
- MANDATORY TRAINING: Complete all mandatory online training modules for new incoming graduate students. The modules will be available on the Safety & Wellness section on your myUSC portal.
BY FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 9
- TUITION REFUND INSURANCE: Make a final decision about Tuition Refund Insurance. You can confirm your decision in Web Registration.
- REGISTRATION: Finalize your registration. Be sure to add any ensembles or other courses that you plan to complete in the fall semester. If you are registered for a temporary enrollment course (USC 100), you must replace this course with actual classes/ensembles. Save email confirmation of all registration changes as receipts.
- STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE: Waiver (or enrollment) deadline for the USC Student Health Insurance plan. Please review the steps applicable to you on the USC Student Health Insurance section of the Resources and Opportunities module.
- IMMUNIZATION RECORDS: Per USC Engemann Student Health Center policy, students must complete immunization requirements by the third week of your first semester. Upload and submit your immunization documents to the student health portal MySHR. If you do not complete the immunization and screening requirements by this deadline, it will result in a late processing fee and a registration hold for the next semester.
BEFORE THE END OF THE SEMESTER
- DEGREE VERIFICATION: Check OASIS in myUSC under “Restrictions.” If you have a prior degree verification restriction hold, talk to your advisor about how to verify your prior degree.
- MGEEs: Check the MGEE schedule if you need to retake any exams. The MGEEs are generally administered the week before classes begin each semester. Keep these dates in mind when making travel plans.
- REGISTRATION FOR SPRING: Academic advising for spring 2023 will take place in October. You should be registered for spring 2023 classes before the end of the fall semester. Be sure to check your USC email, as well as the Advising Process page on the Thornton Student Portal, for announcements regarding academic advising.
Once you have reviewed this content in this module, please return to the USC Thornton Graduate Orientation home page and review the next module.