We invite the USC Thornton community to utilize this time as an opportunity to focus on their craft, continue to create, and find ways to innovate, collaborate and grow in their musicianship.
Concerts have been canceled, the campus is closed, but the show must go on. We’re launching a series of performances by USC Thornton students, faculty and alumni, live from… somewhere. Living rooms, back patios, at home and around the world — where ever you may be.
We invite you to join us in celebrating Thornton artists as we highlight their music now that the concert halls and clubs have gone dark. Here are the suggested guidelines:
- For now, we ask for a performance that is 5:00 minutes or less, but total length is flexible.
- Video should be recorded in horizontal, or landscape, orientation.
- Consider your location and setup. Film your performance in a well-lit space, and check the background and framing of your video.
- The musical selection or song-choice is up to you. Perform something you are working on for a recital or gig, or a new composition you’ve been working on. For students in the Division of Contemporary Music, both original material and well-chosen covers are welcome.
- If performing an instrumental or vocal cover, please record your performance using an alternatively sourced backing track (with permission) or live accompaniment. Videos that include copyrighted tracks (such as playing your instrument over a contemporary song, or singing along with the original recording) cannot be used.
- Because of the need for social distancing, we encourage you to share a solo performance, or explore creative ways to use technology to make videos with other people.
- Professional audio quality is not our priority. In these circumstances, it’s your performance that matters, so whatever audio you have at your disposal will be welcome.
- We recommend considering wearing concert attire for your performance — dress as you would for a gig or a concert on campus.
- Upload your MP4 file to Dropbox, Google Drive, or another file sharing service, with a shareable link for us to download. When submitting your video, you will be asked to provide a link to download your video file.
- Submit your video through the online submission form below.
We are committed to showcasing as many performances we can, however please note that submission does not guarantee your video will be published. Please be patient, as there may be a delay before your submission is reviewed.