This section is for all freshman and transfer applicants from outside of USC. The total application fee is $110 ($85 for the Common Application and $25 for the Thornton Portfolio in SlideRoom). All required materials must be submitted by December 1. Please note that this is a receive deadline, NOT a postmark deadline.
Transfer students should also refer to the Transferring to Thornton FAQ section.
- Complete the USC Undergraduate Application. The Common Application fee is $85.
Please note applicants to the Thornton School are only permitted to select one music program through the Common Application and it must be selected as the first-choice major. Applicants who would like to be considered for admission to a second Thornton program must submit a written request following the Second Major Request.
- Submit official transcripts and test scores to the USC Admission Office.
- Determine the specific Application Requirements for your chosen program, including prescreen recordings, compositions, or lyric sheets where appropriate. Materials should be uploaded through SlideRoom, which you will access through the “Portfolio” link in the Common Application. By selecting a Thornton program in the first-choice major field, the Common Application will automatically populate with the following text: “Because of the major you selected above, you will need to submit a Portfolio for your program to complete your application.” Select “Yes” and refer to the Portfolio Instructions in the left hand column. The fee for SlideRoom is $25.
- You will also include a Résumé and Repertoire List through this Portfolio section. A Statement of Purpose is also required for Music Industry and Choral Music.
Note: Recordings/Materials will not be accepted via mail or email for any program. Recordings/Materials must be submitted online through SlideRoom by the December 1st deadline. Any application not complete by December 1st may be removed from consideration.
- Perform an audition if required according to the specific audition requirements for your chosen program.
- If you pass the prescreen round, you will automatically be scheduled for a live audition. You will be notified of your prescreen results/audition date and time by email. Please do not make travel plans or purchase tickets until you have received official notification that your audition has been scheduled.
Transfer students: visit our Transferring to Thornton FAQ section for important information about transferring.
International students: visit our International Student Admission section for important information about applying as an international student.
Questions? Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (213) 740-8986 or (800) 872-2213.