This section is for all freshman and transfer applicants from outside of USC applying for the fall semester. USC does not accept applications for spring admission unless you are already a current USC student. Current USC students should follow the Change of Major Application Process.
The total application fee is $110 ($85 for the Common Application and $25 for the Thornton Portfolio in SlideRoom). All required materials must be submitted by December 1. Recordings/materials must be submitted online through the SlideRoom Portfolio by the December 1st deadline and will not be accepted via mail or email for any program. Please note that this is a receive deadline, NOT a postmark deadline. Any application not complete by December 1st may be removed from consideration.
Transfer applicants should also refer to the Transferring to Thornton FAQ section.
- Complete the USC Undergraduate Application.
Note: Undergraduate applicants to the Thornton School are only permitted to select one music program through the Common Application and it must be selected as the first-choice major. Applicants who would like to be considered for admission to a second Thornton program must complete the Second Major Request process.
- Submit all other application materials required by USC Admission:
- Complete the USC Thornton SlideRoom Portfolio
- Determine the specific Application Requirements for your chosen program, including prescreen recordings, compositions, video responses, or lyric sheets where appropriate. Every undergraduate Thornton applicant must submit the appropriate SlideRoom Portfolio, complete with the specific application requirements for your chosen major, for consideration to any Thornton program.
- All applicants will be required to include a résumé and repertoire list in the SlideRoom Portfolio (Exception: A repertoire list is not required for Music Industry applicants). A Statement of Purpose is also required for Music Industry and Choral Music.
- Transfer applicants are required to upload a copy of all college transcripts.
- Important Note: USC Admission also requires official high school transcripts (with date of graduation) and official college transcripts of any and all college coursework completed through the fall term for all transfer applicants.
- Classical Performance and Composition only: In addition to the items listed above, a personal introductory video must be submitted through SlideRoom. Click here for details of what this introductory video should include.
- Optional letters of recommendation for the Thornton School (in addition to the recommendation letters required by USC Admission submitted via the Common Application) may be submitted through the Thornton SlideRoom “References” section. Important notes for optional letters of recommendation:
- Any optional letters of recommendation you want reviewed by the Thornton faculty must be submitted via the Thornton SlideRoom “References” section by December 1. We cannot guarantee the review of any material received after December 1.
- Required letters of recommendation submitted to USC Admission through the appropriate Common Application avenues will automatically be included with the Thornton SlideRoom application for review by Thornton Faculty. USC Admission will not receive any optional letter of recommendation submitted through the Thornton SlideRoom “References” section.
- Any recommendation sent via mail or email will not be reviewed by the Thornton faculty.
- Perform an audition if required according to the specific audition requirements for your chosen program.
- If you pass the prescreen round, you will automatically be scheduled for a live audition. You will be notified of your prescreen results/audition date and time by email by the end of December. Please do not make travel plans or purchase tickets until you have received official notification that you are invited for a live audition and your audition has been scheduled.
Note: All Thornton supplemental materials must be uploaded through SlideRoom, which you will access through the “Portfolio” link in the Common Application.
All first-year applicants: By selecting a Thornton program in the first-choice major field, the Common Application will automatically populate with the following text: “Because of the major you selected above, you will need to submit a Portfolio for your program to complete your application”. Select “Yes” and refer to the Portfolio Instructions in the left hand column.
All transfer applicants: By selecting a Thornton program in the first-choice major field, the Common Application will automatically populate with the following text: “Because of the major you selected above, you will need to submit a Portfolio for your program to complete your application”. Select “Yes” and refer to the “USC Thornton School of Music” SlideRoom link that will automatically populate below the portfolio question.
Transfer students: visit our Transferring to Thornton FAQ section for important information about transferring.
International students: visit our International Student Admission section for important information about applying as an international student.
Questions? Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (213) 740-8986.