This section is for all freshman and transfer applicants from outside of USC. The total application fee is $105 ($80 for the Common Application and $25 for the Thornton Portfolio in SlideRoom). All required materials must be received by December 1. Please note that this is a received deadline, NOT a postmark deadline.
Transfer students should also refer to the Transferring to Thornton FAQ section.
- Complete the USC Undergraduate Application. The Common Application fee is $80.
Please note that applicants are not permitted to apply to more than one music program. The Thornton program must be selected as the first-choice major on the Common Application. Applicants who would like to be considered for admission to a second Thornton program must submit a written request following the Second Major Request.
- Submit official transcripts and test scores to the USC Admission Office.
- Determine the specific Application Requirements for your chosen program, including prescreen recordings, compositions, or lyric sheets where appropriate. Materials should be uploaded through SlideRoom, which you will access through the “Portfolio” link in the Common Application. By selecting a Thornton program in the first-choice major field, the Common Application will automatically populate with the following text: “Because of the major you selected above, you will need to submit a Portfolio for your program to complete your application.” Select “Yes” and refer to the Portfolio Instructions in the left hand column. The fee for SlideRoom is $25.
- You will also include a Résumé and Repertoire List through this Portfolio section. A Statement of Purpose is also required for Music Industry and Choral Music.
- All required materials must be received by December 1. Please note that this is NOT a postmark deadline.
- Perform an audition if required according to the specific audition requirements for your chosen program.
- If you pass your department’s prescreen round, you will automatically be scheduled for an audition. You will be notified of your prescreen results/audition date and time by email. Please do not make travel plans or purchase tickets until you have received official notification that your audition has been scheduled.
- Please note: If you would like to be considered for an academic scholarship you MUST perform a live audition by the first audition weekend held in January.
Transfer students: visit our Transferring to Thornton FAQ section for important information about transferring.
International students: visit our International Student Admission section for important information about applying as an international student.
Questions? Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (213) 740-8986 or (800) 872-2213.