This section is for all graduate applicants including current USC students applying for a USC graduate program (FALL Semester only). The total application fee is $115 ($90 for the USC Graduate Application and $25 for the SlideRoom Media/Materials upload). All required materials must be received by December 1 (Except “Arts Leadership”). Please note that this is a received deadline, NOT a postmark deadline.
Applying to USC Thornton is a two-part process. To be considered for admission, you must submit two separate application forms:
- USC Application for Graduate Admission.
- USC Thornton SlideRoom Application Form
Your application will not be considered complete, and will therefore not be reviewed by the faculty if you do not submit both required application forms.
Important notes regarding the USC Application for Graduate Admission.
- Scans (PDF format) of official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended must be uploaded into the USC Graduate application. Official transcripts are issued by the registrar’s office of each institution. Unofficial transcripts or documents printed from an on-line student system will not be accepted. Please note that official transcripts must also be submitted separately to the USC Graduate Admission office following the guidelines here.
- The application fee is $90. Application fee waivers are available to students who qualify. It is necessary to apply for a fee waiver before the application can be submitted. If you plan to apply for a waiver of the USC application fee, please do so well before the application deadline. Details and instructions can be found here.
- All required materials must be received by December 1.
Important notes regarding USC Thornton’s SlideRoom Application form:
- The SlideRoom portal can be found inside the USC Application for Graduate Admission, in the “Program Materials” Section.
- You must submit the SlideRoom form before you can submit the USC Application for Graduate Admission. (You can start both application forms, and work on them at the same time)
- Before you begin the SlideRoom form, determine the specific Application Requirements for your chosen program. All materials must be uploaded through SlideRoom, including prescreen recordings, compositions or writing samples (where appropriate), resumé, statement of purpose, recommendation letters, and Repertoire List (where appropriate). The fee for SlideRoom is $25.
- Scans (PDF format) of official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended must be uploaded into SlideRoom. Official transcripts are issued by the registrar’s office of each institution. Unofficial transcripts or documents printed from an on-line student system will not be accepted. Please note that official transcripts must also be submitted separately to the USC Graduate Admission office following the guidelines here.
- 1-3 Letters of Recommendation are required from all Graduate applicants unless otherwise stated in the “program application requirements” section for your particular program. Additionally, all DMA applicants must submit at least one letter from a professor who has assessed a substantial research or analysis paper that the student has written. Recommendation letters are to be submitted online through the Thornton SlideRoom portal.
- DMA applicants only: In addition to the items listed above, a “Personal Introductory Video” must be submitted through SlideRoom. For details click here.
Recordings/Materials will not be accepted via mail or email for any program. Recordings/Materials must be submitted online through SlideRoom by the December 1st deadline. Any application not complete by December 1 may be removed from consideration.
Important notes: DMA applicants must take Thornton’s DMA Written Examination on the weekend of their live audition. Applicants to the programs listed below need not take Thornton’s DMA Written Exam, and instead must submit GRE scores. Additional details regarding the DMA Written Examination can be found here.
GRE scores are required from applicants to the following programs:
- PHD in Musicology
- DMA in Choral Music
- MM in Community Music
- DMA in Early Music
- DMA in Music Teaching and Learning
- DMA in Sacred Music
- MA in Early Music
- MM in Music Teaching and Learning
- Perform an Audition — Applicants to programs requiring an audition, who pass the pre-screen round, will be automatically scheduled for a live audition. You will be notified of your prescreen results and audition date and time via email by the end of December. Note: Please do not make travel plans or purchase tickets until you have received official notification that your audition has been scheduled.
International students: Visit our International Student Admission section for important information about applying as an international student.
Are you a USC Thornton student right now? If so, please see special application information for current Thornton students, here.
Questions? Feel free to contact us at email@example.com or (213) 740-8986.