Chair, Department of Winds and Percussion
Associate Professor of Practice
- Program:Winds and Percussion
- Division:Classical Performance and Composition
- Instrument:French Horn
Kristy Morrell is a faculty member at the University of Southern California Thornton School of Music, and the principal French Horn instructor at the Colburn School of Performing Arts. She has been a member of Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra since 1997, and performs frequently with the Los Angeles Philharmonic, the Los Angeles Opera, Pasadena Symphony, Pacific Symphony and New West Symphony. She is also a respected recording artist, performing on numerous motion pictures, television soundtracks and records.
Kristy has a Doctor of Musical Arts degree from the USC Thornton School of Music, where she also received her Master of Music. She received a Bachelor of Music and a Performer’s Certificate from the Eastman School of Music. In 1993 she was the First Place winner of the International Horn Society solo competition, and in 1997 she was the First Place winner of the solo competition at the International Women’s Brass Conference. Her principal teachers were Verne Reynolds, Vincent DeRosa and James Decker.
She resides in Southern California with her husband Steve, daughter Libby, and son, Russell.
- Soloist at the 2005 convention of the Intermational Horn Society.
- As of 2005, performed on the sound tracks for more than 100 motion pictures.
Honors, Awards & Competitions:
- First place winner, International Horn Society solo competition, 1993
- First place winner, International Women’s Brass Society solo competition, 1997
San Louis Obispo Mozart Festival The Lancaster Festival Los Angeles Bach Festival The Ojai Festival
- Helfter, S., and Morrell, K. (2005) “Performing Musicians in the Schools:The preparation and Training of Musician Teaching- Artists.” The paper was presented at the 2005 Symposium of the Society for Music Teacher Eduaction, in Greensboro, NC.
- DMA, USC Thornton School of Music, 1997
- MM, USC Thornton School of Music, 1994
- BM, Eastman School of Music, 1991
Verne Reynolds, Vincent DeRosa, James Decker